Saturday, May 26, 2012

Why I've been MIA: Fitness, D3, Murder Presents, Crafting

I've been MIA this last week from virtual reality..

And here's why.

Last week, Brian, some friends and I decided that we were going to get in shape to do the Tough Mudder next September (2013).

What is the Tough Mudder?
Per their website:
"Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. With the most innovative courses, half a million inspiring participants, and more than $3 million raised for the Wounded Warrior Project, Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world."

A great video that highlights the Tough Mudder Philosophy:

So... what the heck? Why are we doing this?
We want to challenge our minds and bodies. We think marathons are boring, unfortunately. I personally just do not care for running 26+ miles. I think it's wonderful that many people partake in marathons and admire them all, but it's just not my thing.

This is our attempt to make a long term, positive change for our health. Strength and endurance will be built over time by eating well, being active, and taking good care of our bodies, including getting enough sleep. The Tough Mudder is going to be a great way for team members to bond and hold each other accountable for long term goals.

The awesome part about Tough Mudder that I love: no man left behind. You can't finish until your whole team finishes. And the whole point of this is camaraderie, so it promotes teamwork. It's not a race. Sure, it's tough and extremely physically/mentally exhausting, but that's just one part of the whole point of this thing. People from different teams are also encouraged to help each other.

We're taking baby steps. None of us are in poor shape, per se, but we have seen better days in college. Working 8-9 hrs/day in front of a computer does nothing for our health. The terrifying thing is that it's getting easier and easier for me to sit for longer periods of time. It's quite disgusting. I have caught myself sitting 3 hours with no break and... it's not a good thing.

And it really doesn't help that Diablo 3 is one of our main sources of entertainment this last 2 weeks :). Check out  my new setup! I bought a new monitor and am using a desktop for gaming ... eventually I'll upgrade it and use it for everything ... eventually.

It's hard to play games with Loki decides to lay in front of the keyboard...

(Well, it's hard to do anything when he does that, and he loves to do that...)

Oh, and here's our whole setup in the office room... haha. 

We do spend a lot of our free time in this room...

Anyway, back to Tough Mudding.

By making this commitment as a group, we are going to keep each other motivated. We're slowly changing our diet to include more whole/organic foods. It's not going to be a strict diet; it's going to be one that will properly fuel our body for the training we're putting it through. All junk in moderate amounts. No one plan to deprive themselves.

My personal goal is to get leaner and lose some body fat. Get some buff arms. I'm not worried about gaining bulk--  I don't have enough testosterone.

I'll probably occasionally post work outs, meals here just in case anyone is interested in what we're up to :)

My coworker and I area also joining 24 hour fitness. We tried it out with their 3 day free pass Mon - Wed-- we're going to be taking the classes, not using the equipment. The idea is that I take these classes, and along with the Tough Mudder recommended workouts, I will get in super shape.

Has anyone here done a Tough Mudder and have training advice or tips? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Asides from gaming, I've also made a few creations.

I'm bringing back my poly clay rose studs due to high demand. I found pearlescent Fimo clay and mixed that with a red and fuchsia to get this pearly baby pink:



And the Sailor Jupiter studs! Back by popular demand :)


I also found Swarovski flatback butterflies, so wanted to make studs with them as there are no holes through the beads. They're cute!

These Disco Ball earrings have been in the works a while, but I'd always forget to order the materials when I place orders with my supplier. I finally remembered:
Super shiny checkerboard round beads!

I launched a series of Chevron necklaces-- inspired by the geometric trend that's going on right now.
Instead of using beads, I went ahead and make my own from polymer clay. Took a while to get the shape right. I think I will do a tutorial on these when I have the time. You are free to request other combinations if you'd like!

A mint and gold:

A pearl pink and gold:

This granite one is a little different. It's very modern and chic; it looks like you're wearing granite. It's poly clay mixed with some black and silver speckles. Very cool :)


Some Floral hoop earrings:

I've been on wire wrapped loops binge lately.. 

The redesign of the Sugar Scrub jars have been in the works for months now. Finally found a jar I like, fits a good amount of product and is easy to ship! Enjoy the new Vanilla Latte scrub I have available as well:

I love. love. love. the way this smells. I'm addicted to making my own Vanilla Lattes, and this makes me really want one. ( I'm.. actually sipping one right now... haha)

And the Matcha Mint, which people have grown to really enjoy:


Last but not least, I leave you tonight with photos of Achilles' (our housemate's) murder presents for us left over the last two days:

He actually had 2 today, but I'm not posting the other one because it's purely guts.
One of the ones pictured above was left over from yesterday's presents. Yesterday, he also brought back a dead, but fully intact rat-- he left it for us! But we didn't touch it, and a neighbor's cat came by and took it off our hands, hahah.

Achilles has been quite the hunter lately.

Have a wonderful and safe long weekend, everyone!
I have a 15% coupon going on this weekend with code: heqimday2012
Lisa
heqicrystaldesigns@hotmail.com
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Chanthida said...

love the butterflies and what character did you choose on D3? I'm a wizard! I just started playing!

Marie said...

OMGOSH Martin has been on D3 since he got it. I don't understand how someone can sit for 10 hours and play straight. BOYS!

I'm pretty lucky that my cat never brought home "presents"!

I've been trying to get into making things out of clay but man it's hard! :(